Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Easy Ways to Make Myself Feel Better That I Avoid

In trying times, most of us know what we need to do to make ourselves feel better.  But why is so difficult to actually do those things?  Why do we (I?) instead make deliberate choices to either 1) not do those things, or 2) do things that make us feel worse?


I've lived like this for so long that I really don't know any different.  Truthfully, I believe that part of it was learned in high school when I would try to do things that I enjoyed only to be told that I was lazy or wasting my time.  So instead of doing the things that I rationally know will make me feel good, I create excuses to avoid them.  Or I replace them with activities that will make me feel worse.  For example:


1. Yoga: Why oh why do I avoid yoga?  It's offered to me practically free once a week at the gym at work.  I have a yoga mat, I know the basic moves.  I have a few DVDs-- I even have iPod apps dedicated to the topic.  I feel so much better after I do it.  And yet, the excuses are many (and flimsy).  I don’t have time, I’m tired, I don’t want to have to take a shower afterwards, I would rather read my book during my lunch than work out, and on and on.


2. Taking a Shower/Bath: So often when I am depressed or apathetic, I go for days without bathing.  It’s a catch-22, because that usually makes me more depressed and less likely to finally just bite the bullet and do it.  But is there anything better than getting out of the shower and feeling clean and fresh?  But it just takes so much effort (OK, I know it really doesn’t, but this is what I tell myself when I am coming up with excuses to avoid it).  I’m tired, I would rather crash on the couch, I don’t feel like standing up so long (yes, I actually think that!), I don’t want to wait for my hair to dry, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon, so what’s the point?


3. Reaching out to Friends: Isolating yourself in low times is by far one of the worst things you can do.  Yet, it’s my first line of defense.  I would much rather be miserable by myself; I don’t want to bitch and moan to my friends about my (sometimes relatively insignificant) problems.  I want to stay at home, ignore phone calls (and sometimes texts and emails), knowing full well that I am nearly always energized when I talk to or see friends.  It’s another “rock and a hard place” situation because the more I avoid my friends, the more guilt and fear that I have that they will eventually give up on our friendship because I am so unavailable.


4. Clean the House: OK, maybe not clean, but at least straighten up.  I’m really trying to be better about this in my new place and it’s been easier because it’s much smaller than the house my husband and I were sharing.  Granted, the actual cleaning isn’t all that uplifting.  But there really is something to be said for sitting down in a nicely cleaned room.  It just makes you feel at peace, no matter what you’re doing.  My goal for the new place is to just not let it get out of hand like I did at home.  So maybe this will be one of those things that I won’t have to avoid because it won’t become a problem.  (Cross your fingers.)


Do you consciously avoid doing things that you know will make you feel better?  Do you know why you do it?


Do you replace those activities with others that actually make you feel more disgusted with yourself?  I’ll address those maladaptive behaviors tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment